Research in The Flannigan Lab is highly interdisciplinary and includes aspects of materials science, physical chemistry, and solid-state physics for the study of photoinduced structural and electronic dynamics in condensed matter. Our primary goal is to understand such processes at the combined atomic and ultrafast spatiotemporal scales, and we actively develop and apply methods of time-resolved electron microscopy in order to uncover new experimental parameter space and overcome limitations stemming from signal averaging over relatively large specimen volumes. Please visit our Research page for summaries of active projects in the group falling under the general theme of time-resolved and ultrafast electron imaging.
And, for more information about the Flannigan Group see the News page!
- Dayne successfully defends his thesis. Congratulations, Dr. Plemmons!
- Dave delivers an invited talk in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo-Engineering at UMN. Thanks very much to Prof. Stefano Gonella for hosting!
- Dave receives a 2017 DOE Early Career Award for his proposal "Imaging Nanoscale Energy Transport and Conversion with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy".
- Ryan passes his preliminary exam. Congratulations, Ryan!
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the annual Molecular Foundry user meeting at Berkeley Lab. Many thanks to Christian Kisielowski and Petra Specht for the kind invitation.
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the annual Beckman Symposium at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation in Irvine, CA.
- Our paper, in collaboration with Prof. Jianping Wang, "Minnealloy: A New Magnetic Material with High Saturation Flux Density and Low Magnetic Anisotropy" is published in Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics.
- Dan successfully defends his thesis. Congratulations, Dr. Cremons!
- Dayne delivers an invited talk "Coherent Photoexcited Structural Dynamics in Nanostructured and Nanoscale Materials" at the Electron Microscopy with High Temporal Resolution Workshop in Strasbourg, France.
- Our paper, in collaboration with Prof. Jianping Wang, "Picosecond Fresnel Transmission Electron Microscopy" is published in Applied Physics Letters.
- Our paper "Spatiotemporal Evolution of Coherent Elastic Strain Waves in a Single MoS2 Flake" is published in Nano Letters.
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the "New Scientific Directions with Ultrafast Electrons" workshop at LBNL. Many thanks to Peter Fischer, Andy Minor, and the other organizers for arranging this exciting event!
- Alyssa successfully defends her thesis. Congratulations, Dr. McKenna!
- Kevin wins a UROP Award. Congratulations, Kevin!
- Our paper "Defect-Mediated Phonon Dynamics in TaS2 and WSe2" is published in Structural Dynamics. The paper is part of a special issue honoring the late Prof. Ahmed H. Zewail.
- Dave delivers the Materials Science & Engineering Department Colloquium at Stanford University. Thanks very much to David Barton for hosting and Ehren Mannebach for escorting at SLAC!
- Our paper, in collaboration with Prof. Beth Stadler and Dr. Peter Solheid, "Si-Integrated Ultrathin Films of Phase-Pure Y3Fe5O12 (YIG) via Novel Two-Step Rapid Thermal Anneal" is published in Materials Research Letters.
- Elisah receives a 2017 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Congratulations, Elisah!
- Spencer passes his prelim. Congratulations, Spencer!
- Dave delivers an invited talk in the Department of Chemistry at Indiana University. Thanks very much to Prof. Sara Skrabalak for hosting!