Research in The Flannigan Lab is highly interdisciplinary and includes aspects of materials science, physical chemistry, and solid-state physics for the study of photoinduced structural and electronic dynamics in condensed matter. Our primary goal is to understand such processes at the combined atomic and ultrafast spatiotemporal scales, and we actively develop and apply methods of time-resolved electron microscopy in order to uncover new experimental parameter space and overcome limitations stemming from signal averaging over relatively large specimen volumes. Please visit our Research page for summaries of active projects in the group falling under the general theme of time-resolved and ultrafast electron imaging.
And, for more information about the Flannigan Group see the News page!
- Our paper, written in collaboration with Prof. Aaron Lindenberg at Stanford, "Atomic-Scale Imaging of Ultrafast Materials Dynamics" is published in MRS Bulletin. The article is part of a special issue of MRS Bulletin titled "Ultrafast Imaging of Materials Dynamics", for which Dave and Aaron are Guest Editors.
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the 18th U.S. National Congress for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. Thanks very much to Profs. Ellad Tadmor and Harold Park for the kind invitation!
- Daniel wins a 2018 CEMS TA award. Congratulations, Daniel!
- Our paper "Electrons Film Phonon Dynamics in Full" is published in Physics.
- Our paper "Iron Nanoparticles with Tunable Tetragonal Structure and Magnetic Properties" is published in Physical Review Materials.
- Dave is selected to receive the 2018 Sigma Xi Young Investigator Award.
- Dave is officially promoted to Associate Professor with tenure!
"The Academic Bestiary" by Richard Armour, with illustrations by Paul Darrow.
- Blast from the past! Dave publishes a paper with Ken Suslick, his former PhD adviser, titled "The Chemical History of a Bubble" in Accounts of Chemical Research.
- Daniel, Elisah, and Yichao all pass their preliminary exams. Congratulations, everyone! Job well done.
- Dayne and Tom receive their doctoral hooding at the Arts, Sciences, and Engineering Graduate Commencement Ceremony. Congratulations, Dayne and Tom!
- Dave is selected to receive a 2018 McKnight Presidential Fellowship.
- Wyatt is selected to receive an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Congratulations, Wyatt!
- Daniel, Elisah, and Spencer all win 2018 Student Scholar Awards from the Microscopy Society of America for their Microscopy & Microanalysis Meeting papers. Congratulations!
- Our new camera has arrived!
- Dave delivers an invited departmental seminar at RPI Materials Science and Engineering. Thanks very much to Prof. Ed Palermo for hosting!
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the German Physical Society Spring Meeting in Berlin, Germany. Thanks very much to Jure Demsar, Michael Horn-von Hoegen, and Claus Ropers for the invitation!
- Dave delivers an invited talk at UIUC Chemistry. Thanks very much to Prof. Ken Suslick for hosting!
- Dayne accepts a position at Det-Tronics. Congratulations, Dayne!
- Dave receives the George W. Taylor Career Development Award.
- Dave is appointed Director of Undergraduate Studies for Materials Science and Engineering.
- Our paper "Picosecond Phase-Velocity Dispersion of Hypersonic Phonons Imaged with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy" is published in Physical Review Materials.
- Wyatt Curtis and Jialiang Chen join the group as first-year graduate students. Welcome, Wyatt and Jialiang!
- Our new Allied Multiprep polisher has arrived!
- Dayne successfully defends his thesis. Congratulations, Dr. Plemmons!
- Dave delivers an invited talk in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo-Engineering at UMN. Thanks very much to Prof. Stefano Gonella for hosting!
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the UMN Forum on 2D Materials. Thanks very much to Prof. Sang-Hyun Oh for the invitation!
- Dave receives a 2017 DOE Early Career Award for his proposal "Imaging Nanoscale Energy Transport and Conversion with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy".
- Ryan passes his preliminary exam. Congratulations, Ryan!
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the annual Molecular Foundry user meeting at Berkeley Lab. Many thanks to Christian Kisielowski and Petra Specht for the kind invitation.
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the annual Beckman Symposium at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation in Irvine, CA.
- Our paper, in collaboration with Prof. Jianping Wang, "Minnealloy: A New Magnetic Material with High Saturation Flux Density and Low Magnetic Anisotropy" is published in Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics.
- Dan successfully defends his thesis. Congratulations, Dr. Cremons!
- Dayne delivers an invited talk "Coherent Photoexcited Structural Dynamics in Nanostructured and Nanoscale Materials" at the Electron Microscopy with High Temporal Resolution Workshop in Strasbourg, France.
- Our paper, in collaboration with Prof. Jianping Wang, "Picosecond Fresnel Transmission Electron Microscopy" is published in Applied Physics Letters.
- Our paper "Spatiotemporal Evolution of Coherent Elastic Strain Waves in a Single MoS2 Flake" is published in Nano Letters.
- Dave delivers an invited talk at the "New Scientific Directions with Ultrafast Electrons" workshop at LBNL. Many thanks to Peter Fischer, Andy Minor, and the other organizers for arranging this exciting event!
- Alyssa successfully defends her thesis. Congratulations, Dr. McKenna!
- Kevin wins a UROP Award. Congratulations, Kevin!
- Our paper "Defect-Mediated Phonon Dynamics in TaS2 and WSe2" is published in Structural Dynamics. The paper is part of a special issue honoring the late Prof. Ahmed H. Zewail.